Tuesday, March 14, 2006

'Are we lost?'

I tend to be quite observant of people around me, if I'm walking and don't have much to think about. And I simply enjoy giving directions to people who are lost! It's funny, but I always find myself on the lookout for lost people... hehe. I remember it was close to 1 am, and my brother and I were strolling down Dundas- We met a lady wanting to go the airport to catch a flight. My brother was quite hesitant, but a pleading look from me was enough for him to change his mind and help the lady- He gladly picked up her luggage, and we escorted her to Delta Chelsea hotel from where the shuttle runs to the airport.

Sometimes I tell people the direction, and get worried that they may forget and get lost again, so I end up following them halfway.

People are always so happy when they are helped. The funniest is, when you're standing across the building they're looking for. 'Where's the Bata shoe museum?' 'Right behind you!' 'Why thank you, I've been past this block 4 times already!'.
I often find myself interjecting when I see someone asking a random person about their destined location and that random person having no clue but still trying to help, 'sorry, I don't live int his area...but I think it's that way'- It's a sight watching two people standing and scratching their heads. An even funnier scene is watching someone standing @ an intersection with the largest map you've ever seen.
One rainy day, I had to run to the bank machine in a 15 minute time span and I brushed past a lost kid crying uncontrollably- He must have been less than 4 years of age. Oh no... he looks lost! And he did look Pakistani. I asked him who he's looking for...'phhhhupppoo'. His father's sister? No... 'What's your phone number? Aap ka number kya hai?' 'Four one sis sis sis tooo tooo too faeee...' That didn't sound right either. All the shops on the street block I live on are run by South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bengalis, etc)- They must be in one of them. I was scared to take the kids hand and guide him in case people get the wrong idea... keeping an eye on him, I started walking from shop to shop... finally saw someone who looked like a parent with a lost kid... what a happy reunion.
My youngest brother and sister were lost together during Umrah @ Saee time... thank god they knew the way to the hotel. What can you do about lost kids?

I've so many stories about meeting people this way...

1 Comments:

At 4/21/2006 10:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

"'Four one sis sis sis tooo tooo too faeee" i literally laughed out laughed @ that!!!

"An even funnier scene is watching someone standing @ an intersection with the largest map you've ever seen."....hmm, let's see. Who goes around with a TTC map in there bag? yes, YOU...LOL

"Sometimes I tell people the direction, and get worried that they may forget and get lost again, so I end up following them halfway." i can relate to that. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home