Friday, July 30, 2004

The MSA experience

Even today as I reminisce about the whole MSA experience, I remember everything so clearly, as if I met all my brothers and sisters yesterday. Yet, when I meet my MSA brothers and sisters, I feel as if I've known them all my life.
I came to Canada three years ago for an education, and fell in love with Toronto, especially its diversity. The people here are beautiful; the Muslims are very warm and welcoming.
Initially, I did not know what to expect. Hailing from United Arab Emirates (UAE), where Islam is...predominant supposedly, I had a dreadful feeling about adapting to the Western culture. After arriving here, I was startled to see so many Orientals! Where were all the white people?! Soon, in a few days, I'd notice girls in hijabs to my utter surprise. So, there might be more Muslims, I thought!
To me, the Muslim Student’s Association @ University of Toronto, St George Campus was introduced as a one-man booth, with a green banner, pushed off the corner of the field on SAC Clubs Day, during Orientation week. I could not contain myself with excitement! I signed up, obtained information about prayers and upcoming events, copy of The Muslim Voice and anything else I could gather. A few weeks later I attended the Marhaba dinner. I wanted to make as many friends’ as possible; I wanted to build an Islamic environment around myself. I outreached as much as I could. That was really the starting point of my volunteerism in the MSA. For the first time in my life, I heard an English speaker (a change from the Arabic Friday khutbas in UAE!) and I was so impressed! To me, this was a new kind of Islam. A very active and strong Islam. Again, contrasting with the lazy Islam in UAE. Of course, it’s not Islam that has all these characteristics, but the people, but at that time, that’s how I saw it. After that, I would attend every single MSA meeting imaginable, and make as many friends as possible. I was also blessed with the chance to hold many positions, Alhamdulillah. Truly, in these three years, Allah has filled my life with miracles. Through my brothers and sisters on campus, I became a better Muslim. The joy of rushing to pray together between lectures, attending MSA lectures, breaking fast on campus, huge congregational Eid prayers and the experiencing Islam in Toronto is unparalleled. I found every single person to blend with me very well and extend a helping hand to me whenever needed. Of course, one has to be willing to get out there too! My brothers here are the best, always there when I need to walk home late nights from the labs, or move furniture and sisters too, always there when I need to talk, or good food!
The love and support from the MSA has been tremendous, that I’ve truly found a home, away from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home