Sunday, July 11, 2004

two-wheeling madness!

Biking in downtown is nothing less than dangerous! and annoying as well! Coming from the Middle East, I've never seen such narrow roads. UAE has three lanes on each side, if not four! Roads are as smooth as satin, I must say! But downtown Toronto is one heck of an experience when it comes to cycling. I had started off a few weeks ago, biking on the side walk and less crowded avenues to gain confidence of getting on the road. Impatient as I am, I was on the road the second day! And maan...have I had my experiences!
My biggest fear is when the car on my left is too close, and generally they are within 1/2 a metre of you! My heart starts beating 10 times faster and my pace slows down. Generally, it doesnt last long, which is the biggest relief! My love are the roads with bike lanes! What delight, seriously! My very own road lane! However, it's love-hate relationship again. Much as I love being able to bike in a separate lane, the cracks and potholes and drains on the road are ALL on the far ends! There isn't a road where I haven't had enough bumps to displace my brain in my head. ugh! And because all the construction happens in Summer, the roads are narrower than before, making it difficult to dodge cars and traffic cones.
I once dared to get onto College St, but never again! College St is under heavy construction, and also has street car tracks on it. I didn't learn the lesson until I read it later- Always cross street car tracks at right angles! There was a black SUV ahead of me and my cycle was loaded with my bags on the front basket...As I sped up a bit, my unspoken fears came true. The front wheel was caught in the street car track, and my bike skid to the side. Alhamdulillah I let go of it rightaway, but the lock and bags flew right into the center of the road, and the lights turned green....
This wasn't as bad really, thankfully the black SUV driver waited until I picked up my stuff. Two days ago I wanted to get onto College St, but as soon as I looked at the traffic ahead, I changed and turned right onto Elm St.
And what's the deal with the four-way yellow flashing traffic lights?! I still have to learn about Canada's traffic rules, but this is something I just dont get! Flashing yellow means, go cautiosly. But who gets to go first?! And how would turn in either direction, after whom?! What if there are pedestrians crossing, then who goes first? And are bicycles treated as other road vehicles? sigh...

I dont even know anything about hand wavings. Oh! The scariest situation is, and one that tests your expertise at balance, when there's a row of parked cars on your right, and another row of cars waiting for the lights to turn red on your left. And you are in the middle, in an approximate 1 metre or less space. Break a sweat. Or two. Say a prayer, check your balance and show-off if you can do it! I personally love doing that- trying to bike in an extremely straight line, with slow speed and complete balance!

And I just learnt...flashing green light means turn left! very cool, and new to me! :-) As well, the definition of Four-Way Stop. I'm not telling you, look it up yourself!!

I usually find myself faster than most cyclists, men and women alike. I guess no one is in as much a rush as I am! Cycling in downtown is definitely a challenge you dont wanna miss!

To conclude, I have to say that there's something unique about a hijabi with sunglasses, helmet and shalwar kameez...biking in downtown! hehe!!


http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling/index.htm

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/Products/Analytic
/companion/pow/ftorbike.cfm


http://home.connection.com/~regan/boomer.html

1 Comments:

At 2/07/2006 3:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

H, you're hilarious.
What's with all these memories @ work?
M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home