Rubberneckie!
My supervisor, who's the Senior IT Architect, JC, is getting married next week to his fiancee, and the team decided to present him with a gift today and throw a small party on site. He's the third person to be married on the team!
The issue was how to do this without letting the lucky guy know, because we had to keep him from finding out and there was giggling all over. Everytime the doorbell would ring, ppl would jump and someone would run to keep JC busy so that he doesn't find out what the commotion was all about. Our business manager, Jutta, couldn't find anything but birthday balloons... those wouldn't do, really, so we were left without the decorations.
Finally, the food and all was setup, the gift was a beautiful crystal punch bowl set, and Jutta went to call JC.
'They're having computer problems, can you come take a look?'
Lunch was fun... with every teasing JC about his plans and eating less so that he'd fit into his tux.
Jutta: 'Got your suit and all? What colour is it?'
JC: 'Yea- it's black.. black coat, tie, vest...'
Jutta: 'No butterfly?' [I always thought it's called a bowtie..!]
JC:' The problem with butterflies is that people still ask you to serve drinks'
Jutta has a very (In Urdu you'd say khush mizaj) loud happy-go-lucky personality. Everyone was back from the holidays, and she was going around asking everyone about the pictures they had on their desk. She comes upto me:
'Helllooo... no boyfriend, fiance, husband?'
'Nope, not yet'
'Hey, you're just like me!'
We have a consultant on our team, Ian Darwin, author of the Java Cookbook, (published by O Reilly's). He was the one who grilled me with Java puzzles during the interview...
He's been married 20 years now. Was talking about how he only had 15 out of 300 guests from his side.
Apparently, the next one on the team to get married is VA!- next summer. I knew he was traditional, eating only vegge and all, but didn't think he was this traditional to get married so early! Over lunch everyone was talking about how the guy has one a page checklist and the girl has... 200 pages. The girl's side of the guests are generally 10 times more. VA is Indian, and he was saying that his guest list was 200 people, and the girl's side 400-500.
JC pulled out his list
JC: 'Here's my list...it says: Pickup tux (which I still haven't!)... and pickup ring!'
VA: 'Wasn't this the same list your fiancee gave you 8 months ago?'
I really appreciate the type of people I work with. A complete young bunch, and all clean talk. It's interesting only the men on the team were being teased, that too by men only and... well, besides Jutta.
JC's wedding is going to be traditionally Polish, and in the oldest Church in Canada. I was surprised how much everyone knew about Polish weddings.
I didn't really like the food though- Don't like grilled vegetables!
My project manager, AB, was teasing JH that he's gonna get married soon too.
'Nah, I'm going to wait until VA and you, see how it goes, and then decide!'
AB: 'I'm enjoying my freedom!'
Jutta: 'Yea AB, sure, you pretend you do, but I can tell you wont wait that long!'
JC mentioned they're having someone play the accordion @ the wedding, with Polish Marching beats everytime someone would enter.
AB: 'Get JH, he plays the violin'
Jutta: 'Do you?'
JH: 'Yea, every evening, after I go home from work, outside her window...'
That was just too funny- the look on Jutta's face- You can make her believe anything!
Finally, JC took off, and everyone reminded him not to forget his list.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home