Friday, December 09, 2005

Simplistic complications

I think in life, I complicated the most simple of my notions, and simplify the most complicated ones. This is probably what keeps my life so wierdly changing.
I live life by the day, and each day has its own box of miracles.

The new year is around the corner and I need to make a fair bit of decisions.
Day and night I think of the types of worship I do, and how it doesn't impact my life enough. Fasting Mondays and Thursdays, Tahajjud twice a week, giving in charity on every ocassion no matter how little, daily memorisation, weekly tafseer, weekly halaqas, continuous dhikr...
all this spiritual revivalism doesn't stregthen or bring me closer to my Lord the way facing realities in life does.

Today I wonder, what have I acquired from living life the way I live? When I get up in the morning, with the name of Allah, where am I headed for the rest of the day? I give myself between 35-45 minutes to wash up, make my bed, iron, get ready, breakfast (for two, if my brother's starting his day early as well)- off to work. Lunch breaks are never meant for lunch. Dhuhr, and a meeting here a meeting there. 7 hrs @ work are sometimes slow, sometimes too fast. The people are awesome, Alhamdulillah.. and I'm content because I know I'm making a difference. Rush home, and cook/have dinner with my brother. Back to the computer. Having my laptop in the kitchen makes it so convenient to make my time productive in the kitchen. I can listen to lectures, process my work, play Qur'an, work on my memorisation... and even chat with my parents, gold! Alhamdulillah!
After dinner, it's more meetings.. most evenings.. but I do manage to squeeze in some quiet evenings in the week.
Apart from that... I consider myself low maintenance. I'd like to think that I should be able to survive in a tree house if I had to. I sleep on the floor, no jewellery on me except my Engineering iron ring and only because its easy to keep on, rarely eat out, eat simple, even though the only reason I know all my spices and have tried 100 Paki dishes is because of my brother, and my life is such an open book. Have I detached myself enough from this world ?

Am I not doing well because despite all this I can still afford to waste time? Definitely, my life is not complete. But, of all the things that would make my life complete, what have I not accounted for...as of yet?
I seem to think that I manage my time well, but sometimes I lose total control of my time. Yet, that doesn't seem to worry me as it should...
Worry is not my thing, because of this beautiful ayah in my wallet:
'I hand my problem over to Allah, Verily Allah watches over his servants (needs)' [Ghafir, 44]
This in essence simplifies everything. Let Allah, subhana wa ta'ala take care of it. Entrust The Almighty with your affair, and let your soul rest in peace.

What is the secret to spiritual upliftment? What is the key to having this dunya in your hand, and not in your head? I often think and almost believe, that I continue to plant these thoughts in my heart because my energy is through inspiration from the people I love the most for the sake of Allah (subhana wa ta'ala).
But that's external. How do I advance in internalising the love of Allah, and His messengers?
Questions that I continue to ask...
yet I feel as if I don't do enough to seek the answers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home